Wednesday 23 September 2015

Religiosity/You deserved it

Something that has been... bothering me... for awhile, so I'm going to post about it.

When I was in the hospital, someone made a comment, that essentially boils down to, bad things happened to me because I wasn't Christian (or religious enough).

There is a lot about that comment that I find interesting.

The whole "you deserved it because..." aspect of almost dying blows my mind.

A central question, especially in Christianity is "why do bad things happen to good people"... the "you got sick because God isn't in your life enough" sounds like some old testament stuff to me, and that's not anything I subscribe to.

I don't identify as Christian.  I was raised United, but I've always been more... liberal than United.  My religious views on Facebook say "I believe in love" and I think that's the best way to describe my beliefs.

I believe in a higher power... well, I believe in higher powers.  I believe whatever you believe in (or don't believe in), as long as you strive to be a good person, and be good to other people, that is what is important.  Your actions are more important than your beliefs.  I believe that calling yourself something, does not necessarily make you that thing.  I have met a lot of people who have called themselves a religion, but don't subscribe to the fundamental beliefs of that religion (which for most religions is about loving and treating others well... The first tenet of the Satanic Temple is "One should strive to act with compassion and empathy towards all creatures in accordance with reason."). We as a society like to focus on our few differences instead of the many things we have in common though.

I pray to (the Christian) God, I pray to various Goddesses, I pray to Saint Michael when I'm sick.

When someone gets sick, there is an aspect of themselves that typically blames themselves, "What did I do to deserve this?" while some things may have lifestyle or environmental factors, how you behave as a person usually doesn't contribute greatly to random illnesses (or things like severe drug reactions).

Telling someone they deserved to almost die because they aren't "Christian enough" doesn't seem like a very Christian thing to say.

WWJD?  Not be an asshole...






No comments:

Post a Comment