Sunday 7 August 2011

Cult Vegans

I don't like anyone who thinks that they are better than everyone else because of a choice they have made... I especially don't like people who try to force their beliefs upon other people and try to take away peoples right to choice...

... and that brings us to Cult Vegans.

I have encountered a lot of them in the past few weeks.  What are they?  They are Vegans who think that anyone who does not practice Veganism is going straight to hell.   I want to know when Veganism became a religion?  A scary, scary one at that.   I am a realist in that I know the world will never be vegan... unless all of the animals in the world suddenly die... and really, I think there's a large population of people who would rather eat people than never eat meat again ;).... so really... vegans who think no one should eat animals are advocating cannibalism :D

The biggest peeve off for me is the ones who say that no one needs to eat meat...  there are actually a good portion of people who have a really hard time absorbing certain vitamins and minerals (Iron and B12 are the main 2) who would benefit from a meat eating diet.  I recently spoke... okay... argued with a vegan who tried to say that vegans get more B12 than Meat Eaters... That's a big fat outright lie.  Know what the greatest source of B12 is?  MEAT.  The average person needs about 2mcg of B12 per day, up to 3mcg for pregnant women.  B12 is great because it can be stored in your body for up to 7 years before you run out... but you actually have to give your body B12 if you want it to store it.  Out of the top 5 best sources, 4 of them are meat, and 1 is red star nutritional yeast (I still don't know how vegans think yeast is vegan... it's a living organism but I digress).

 I often see Cult Vegans twist nutrition to make themselves seem better than everyone else, and it peeves me off (I haven't decided yet if I'm actually going to swear in this blog).   You will hear them say Vegan Children are Healthier than Omnivore Children... that's a mistruth.  Children who eat a wide range of foods including plenty of fruits, vegetables and grains are more healthy than children who live on McDonalds and candy.  An Omnivore child who eats a wide variety of protein, fats, carbs, fruits and vegetables can be equally healthy as a vegan child... in the same respect that a Vegan Child who lives on the same foods, lacks variety and isn't getting enough protein can be as unhealthy as a child who lives on McDs and crap.   Cult Vegans need to be better educated.

I am a vegetarian, partly by choice, partly because my body decided when I was young that it didn't want to digest animal proteins anymore.  I believe that we should treat animals ethically, believe in ethical farming and free range products.  Partly because animals are living creatures and partly because if we're going to eat them, they should be as healthy as possible for us.  There's a reason we took antibiotics and hormones out of our cows in Canada... it was impacting the health of humans.

If you want to eat vegan because you want to save the animals, or the environment, or you think it's healthier or for whatever reason, good for you!

If you want to eat meat because you like it, it tastes good, you eat ethically treated organic meat, or you just don't care,  then good for you!

Everyone is entitled to chose their own paths in life... and their own food in life (be thankful that we live in a society where we have plenty of food and you are even ABLE to decide what you want to eat or don't want to eat)

I will leave you with a Ron White joke:

Why are you a vegetarian?' I asked him. And it wasn't even because meat is bad for you. He said that raising cattle was bad for the planet -- with cow flatulence in the ozone and the clearing of land for the raising of cattle. 'What are you doing to help the environment?' he asked... 'I'm eating the cow.'

No comments:

Post a Comment