Sunday 4 May 2014

The Day I Forgot to Remember

I often have trouble remembering dates.  One that I once considered very important went by a month ago, and it didn't even register to me until today when I read a meme with a quote by Michael J Fox.


“ACCEPTANCE DOESN'T MEAN RESIGNATION; IT MEANS UNDERSTANDING THAT SOMETHING IS WHAT IT IS AND THAT THERE'S GOT TO BE A WAY THROUGH IT.” MICHAEL J. FOX

This quote spoke to me.  One of my best days was finding out, after two years, what was wrong with me.  I didn't experience the denial stage, or at least not right away and not as a full stage.  I had convinced myself I had cancer, a brain tumor, something incurable and that I was going to die right away, without really experiencing life.   When I got the diagnosis of MS, it was a relief.  I knew MS came with its own bought of problems and troubles, but it was what it was, and it wasn't cancer. I still had a change at a long life. I accepted that, and knew that I would be able to deal with it, be able to get through the tough parts, be able to live a happy life because I had it, it did not have me. 

Sure, I've had moments of panic, of fear, of worry about the future.  I've had days where I feel defeated.  I'm always able to pick myself back up though because I know there has to be a way through those tough times.   

I remember celebrating my 6 month anniversary, because I had had so many relapses the year before (7 in 12 months), then my 1 year anniversary.  Between year 1 and 2 I had periods of anxiety, two years was such a long time, I was due wasn't I?  At year 3 I felt triumphant. I had made it to 3 years without a major relapse.   My 4th anniversary, I thankfully forgot.   I forgot to remember I was healthy. I forgot that being healthy was abnormal. I forgot to remember how sick I have been.  I forgot to put an emphasis on the disease that I have... but I remembered to live life. 




No comments:

Post a Comment