Sunday 26 January 2014

Crock Pot Chili

First up is Crock Pot Chili.

This recipe is a staple of mine, because it is super quick, and has practically no prep time.

You can substitute the canned for dried that has been soaked and rinsed.  As a usually broke students, I tend to stock up on canned beans when they go on sale for 99cents or less.

If getting canned try to get no salt added.

Ingredients:

1 Can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1 Can whole corn kernels, drained and rinsed
1 large(769ml) can diced tomatoes
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced/chopped finely
1-2 bell peppers, washed and cut (any colour, I like red and orange)
1 cup mushrooms washed and cut. 
chili seasoning

Sometimes I omit the peppers if peppers are really expensive, and it still tastes good.

Empty cans into crock pot,  add onion, garlic, peppers and mushrooms.  Stir.

Add chili seasoning... I vary on how much I put in and don't really keep track, but I find it also depends on the brand.  I would start with 2-3 tablespoons, you can always add more later.  Stir again.

Turn crock pot on low, and cover.  Let cook overnight (6-8 hours, I've let it go up to 10 before).

It should yield 6 servings.   The general nutritional breakdown is:

                     Calories,  Carbs,  Fat,   Protein:

Only 1 Gram of fat per serving, and 8 grams of protein!

You can also serve it over rice, quinoa or baked potatoes. 


Stay Healthy,
Elyse 






No comments:

Post a Comment